The iconic rock formation looks quite different at different times of the day and different lighting – dramatic in the afternoon sun (top), sullen on a misty morning (above) and rather eerie and ghostly when illuminated after dark.
Here are two more murals that we noticed during our recent visit to Claremont. The zebra above is one of a pair by Anya Brock, located above one of the entrances into Claremont Quarter shopping centre. The one below is by Hannah Atcheson (aka Han Solo Art) and is in a side alley at the back of the shops.
We saw this mystery object in the Perth suburb of Victoria Park. What do think it is? No, not a telephone pole or radio communications device. Yes, it is a power pole – but a rather specialised one.
It is actually a 1905 tram pole, which was used to provide electric power for the trams. The trams are history now, and this is the last tram pole in Vic Park. You can see it on the corner of Albany Highway and Mackie Street.
We noticed this strange pillar standing in Sydney Harbour at Bradleys Head. It looks like a public artwork about the dangers of global warming and rising sea levels. Or maybe the ruins of an old waterside funfair.
But in fact it is one of six Doric columns that used to adorn the old GPO, built in 1847 and demolished in 1863. This column was placed in Sydney Harbour, exactly one nautical mile from the tower on Fort Denison, and used for sea trial measurements.
While we were at Watsons Bay during our recent visit to Sydney, we walked around the South Head Heritage Trail, which takes in a variety of buildings and structures from the 1850s. The 1858 Lighthouse Keepers’ Cottage above is near the lighthouse, which we featured a few weeks back. The fortifications and gun placements below (with North Head in the distance) date back to 1854.
The obelisk below was built in the 1850s and used as a navigation aid for ships entering the harbour. During World War 2, an anti-torpedo boom stretched across the harbour from this point.