While we were at Watsons Bay during our recent visit to Sydney, we walked around the South Head Heritage Trail, which takes in a variety of buildings and structures from the 1850s. The 1858 Lighthouse Keepers’ Cottage above is near the lighthouse, which we featured a few weeks back. The fortifications and gun placements below (with North Head in the distance) date back to 1854.
The obelisk below was built in the 1850s and used as a navigation aid for ships entering the harbour. During World War 2, an anti-torpedo boom stretched across the harbour from this point.